Friday, August 22, 2014

Father’s Day with our Dads and Donuts 6/7/14

I have a pre-conceived idea of what Father’s Day is all about. As a kid I never celebrated this holiday, and honestly thought it was something that churches developed. I remember that for Mother’s Day, the ladies got flowers (which as a kid I thought was terribly boring…and let’s be honest, I probably still wouldn’t be that excited to get a geranium…there’s nothing special about that). But Father’s Day, on the other hand, is when they broke out the chocolate candy bars and gave them to all of the guys…and that hands down was the best, no competition. So in the spirit of that idea, we really wanted to celebrate the fathers in our community (and, of course, any who would be willing to come celebrate that status were welcome too!). So how best do we do that…well with candy bars setting the tone, and the concept of what my weekends looked like as a child (I’ll be honest, my mom went shopping with my sister and I would stay home with my brother and dad). Oddly enough, I can say that my dad was never a morning person, so that’s why our Dads and Donuts event started at 10AM…although frankly getting up and getting somewhere by 10AM on the weekend might have been a stretch…it still was later as opposed to being too early. So we broke out all of the breakfast foods, that frankly Dad’s love…Donuts, Eggs, Bacon, Sausages…a relaxed morning hanging out in the Courtyard…this is the substance of which all Saturday mornings should consist of for our dads, our heroes…the people who are so incredibly laid back in their approach to life, enjoy a relaxing day. Happy Father’s Day Dads!

No comments:

Post a Comment